Monday, November 28, 2011

Lira and Anthony's Wedding: Baking the Cake

You've seen a little already from Lira and Anthony's wedding but I haven't shared the wedding cake I made! It was my first ever wedding cake, a bit nerve wracking but I think everyone was happy with the outcome :) It was a carrot cake and I made it pre-birthday Cuisinart, I was determined to have freshly grated carrots but I had a sore arm in the end because of it hehe.


Here's the recipe I used:

Carrot Cake 
from Betty Crocker Cookbook New Edition
oven 350*
Grease bottom of two 8 inch or 9 inch pans w/shortening; lightly flour.

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. applesauce
3 large eggs
2 c. all purpose flour
2 t cinnamon
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt 
3 c. shredded carrots
1 c. coarsely chopped walnuts

In large bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds or until blended. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and salt; beat on low speed 1 minute. stir in carrots and nuts. pour into pans.

Bake pans 30-35 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. cool completely; about 1 hour.

***I made two batches for my two tiered cake using 9" and 6" round pans

Here are my buttered and floured pans, I've been avoiding the cooking spray lately.

The apple sauce isn't in the original recipe but the bride suggested substituting half of the oil with the apple sauce. This is a nice way to make your cake a little more healthy without noticing, works great for things like banana bread, too.
I also chopped my raisins up a bit, I'm not a big fan of biting into a big soft raisin in the middle of my cake. By making the raising bits smaller, you still get the flavor without the globby spots.
Mixing things up in my vintage sunbeam mixer.
Here's a picture of my test cake, see the nice, small raisins?
A few days before the wedding I made a test cake to see how much cake I'd need to bake and to make sure that it would taste good! It was a perfect snack for everyone making paper flowers for the wedding (myself included) and it was a good sign when the only responses I was getting were mmmmmm, mmmhmm.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you cut up the raisins and walnuts! No wonder it was so freaking good!!

    ReplyDelete